Through the Kind Acts of Others


It’s a pretty popular thing to talk about random acts of kindness, pay it forward and the like. And I celebrate the concept, especially done with no intent of recognition or payback. I think we can all agree that if there is something this world can use more of, it is kindness.

After school today my daughter was sitting with me at the kitchen counter having a snack and giving a download of the day. Which in case you are wondering, that has become one of my favorite moments of the day. Time when I can sit down one on one with my kids is always time well spent. In the conversation she mentioned in one of their classes they talked about how big acts of kindness made public and celebrated online have an impact on how we perceive other future acts of kindness or service. A moral inflation has arisen to where we expect more out of each new story, or we become unimpressed or at least less impacted by the future story.

I thought that was an interesting discussion, and the we talked about how much we see this as true in the media and social media always looking for the next big moment to share. And yet, I also thought even further how that isn’t really true in every case, especially if you have a personal connection to the kindness or service. Whether it be in your town or community, neighborhood or family, when it’s personal I find no impact of moral inflation. Even the smallest act has an impact on someone, and most often if not always in a good way.

I love the use of media shows or social movements for good acts of service and kindness. For years I talked about wanting to see a “reality” show that actually sought out people to champion and reward them with money or goods they needed in their service. I was thrilled to see Mike Rowe pick up the mantle with the Facebook show “Returning the Favor” and he’s done a fantastic job at it. Locally BYUtv has Random Acts of Kindness, and while on a bit smaller and somewhat goofier level at times, they do good things and bring much needed positive element to tv programming. I’m a fan of it all.

My wife is a great example of kindness and service, and especially thinking of others. This has been true for as long as I’ve known her. She thinks of others first, and answers the intuition and promptings to do something kind for people regardless of how small. Recently she challenged our daughters to take some money she gave them and do something good for others anonymously in any way they saw fit. Even the process of thinking what to do and who might be in need or just simply uplifted by it is fulfilling to the doer. My previous employer did something similar and gave us some cash and a challenge to impact someone else in a positive way with it.

All this was especially present on my mind today because I was once again the recipient of a wonderful kindness. A couple of weeks ago, on the very day that I received my disappointing report from the latest CT scan, not even an hour later I got a call our car had broken down. Talk about a one-two punch. We’d had an engine light on for awhile but had hoped we could put it off a bit in our finances. But we finally had to take it in and see what would be the damage. I took it my preferred mechanic, someone I’ve used for years and has always been very fair. He’s worked on multiple vehicles for us, so we’ve gotten to know each other you might say.

Fast forward to yesterday. I get a call that the car is done and ready for pick up. We chat a little about what needed to be fixed, and it was a little better than I worried. I ran over to get it with my daughter. As we showed up, he handed over the key and said, “You’re all set.” I said, “Well I need to pay still.” He smiled and replied “No, you don’t. I like to help out a little when I can.”

After I controlled the welling in my eyes, I asked if he was sure, if I could at least pay for parts, and then thanked him profusely. This small act, of what size I have no idea, was a big impact for me yesterday. There is a lot in flux for me right now, leaving a sense of unease and anxiety for obvious and some not so obvious reasons, and this act of kindness gave me such a lift I can hardly put to words.

So now I sit reminded that I need to continue to remember to look for these opportunities to help others, no matter the size or timing of the opportunity. And perhaps in reading this, it may prick your heart and mind to do the same. Because as I said at the beginning, we can all use a little more kindness. Both in the giving and receiving.

Comments