Learning From Others



This morning I'm attending a meeting in Boston with a pharmaceutical company for a patient interaction/advisory board they have put together. The gaol is to learn more about our treatment experience in relation to their clinical trials. I had the opportunity to sign up and thought "why not?"

When it comes to this world of being thrown into the deep water of a "cancer patient" from the moment, I'm constantly reminded of what I don't know. I participate in a support group here on Facebook of others with the specific cancer I have, and every time I see others post I think there's so much more to learn and try in my attempts to seek what's best for my situation. Not only do I not know it all, I simply don't know much. I'm pretty familiar with that feeling.

So the best way I know how to get more knowledge is through others. Reading books, learning from the experiences of others because frankly I don't have time or the energy to make all the mistakes myself although I'm pretty good at that. Making mistakes that is.

And that's why I'm here. To learn. I can share my experience, but I'm one of 20 or so here for this interaction and I plan to learn whatever I can from what the others have to say. I don't expect to have any paradigm shifting new knowledge from this one opportunity, but it's one more step in that effort.

I find that learning from others only takes place when we are willing to listen. You know, keep quiet for a bit and open my ears to actually hear what others say and what they are trying to say. All too often that aspect of dialogue is lost in today's interactions. People talk over the top of each other to make their point, only quiet as they are thinking of what they can say next. We've all do it sometimes, well perhaps not all but I sure have all too often.

I admire those that can carry a conversation with questions about others. I'm not a social person by nature and I it fascinates me when someone can do that. I'm happy to sit back against the back wall and watch a party while others talk. But I try to break out of that at times, and usually it's a good thing.

One thing I've learned time and again is there are so many others much smarter than me, and definitely more knowledgable in various subjects. Breaking out of my little world of understanding requires having a little humility at times, and being willing to put down the distractions, take that interest in others, and simply listen.

So today I'll share, but mostly I'll listen and hopefully learn.

Comments