Listening to your body (and mind)


First, thanks for all the fun replies yesterday both on my post and on the self portrait I posted. So fun seeing the replies and having fun with the comparisons. I almost didn't post the photo because I didn't want people to think I was taking my appearance to seriously. haha. Such a serious look and pose than I normally take. The photo today is an outtake from when I was setting up the lights. I'm looking down at my phone which I use to trigger the camera. My collar is askew, my pose and expression are not perfect, but that's pretty much me most days. I think it looks kind of contemplative.

This morning was hot yoga. I haven't been in a few weeks. If you remember last big post I mentioned how it was such a big struggle getting through the practice because of all the stress the new chemo was putting on my body. It still is, but today did feel better than last time. My good friend and fellow yogi Heidi kept us accountable and going today, so thank you for that.

I always love it when Joanne is leading the practice. She has such an upbeat delivery, keeps us in the class with great instruction and personal corrections, and always has a good insight to share. Today she talked about listening to your body. She asked what do we think when someone who is a "regular" that has been coming for years takes off a pose or two to stay in savasana or just take a break. Do we think of it as a weakness or cheating? We shouldn't. She sees it as wise because the practitioner is listening to their body and doing what they need right now.

Every day is different. Some days we simply can't perform at the same level as others because of any number of influences. Maybe our body is off or our mind isn't fully present in our practice. Maybe there is distress in our life that has interrupted out sleep or has built anxiety that we are still finding a way to cope with or alleviate. Maybe we just don't have the same balance. That's ok. Do what we need now, and work toward finding that peace and balance again.

That was a great message for me today. So applicable to every day life, not just yoga or any kind of exercise. That has really been a big part of my months after my surgery and continued efforts with my health. Every day is different. Some days I feel energy and want to forget there is anything holding me back. Other days I simply can't ignore the adversity and dialing back on what I do is just what has to be done. Realizing that is not only ok but the right thing to do right now is what I need to remember.

So listen to your body, your mind and your soul. Take a moment to slow down and listen. Ask yourself how you feel and what you should be doing right now. It's not weakness. That said, continue to push yourself to do more than what is comfortable, but be smart about what you do.

I hope you are enjoying these more frequent musings. I can't promise I'll write every day, in fact I don't plan to and really don't want to make that commitment. But I hope to continue to document my flow of thoughts like this and enjoy the insights each of you share along with me in the comments!

Have a beautiful Friday or whatever day you happen to read this!

Comments