Riding the Century


Now that I’m back home from the trip and a century under my belt, I’d be remiss if I didn’t take a little time to share some thoughts and highlights from the adventure. I appreciate everything that was “along for the ride” and participated, liked, commented and otherwise offered their support on my Facebook live and other posts throughout the day. I truly appreciated all of you.

This was a culmination of some hard work and the crazy idea that I could push myself further once again to a new achievement, but in many ways it was even more than that for me. This ride was a reminder to me that despite the challenging year this has been battling cancer, I can still live life, do hard things and go beyond things I have done before even in less tumultuous times. Cancer doesn’t define me. I choose what defines me. It may surprise some of your, or you might outright call me a liar, but I’m not a social person by nature. In fact growing up I was rather self-conscious and introverted at times. So doing this social thing and sharing all the ups and downs of life doesn’t come naturally. If you saw me before firing up a Facebook live even this weekend, I start to second guess myself and wonder why in the world would anyone even tune in. But seeing names and faces pop up within seconds of hitting the button gives that surprising relief and reminder that there are people out there that care about what’s happening. Or, at least they’re wondering if I’ve crashed and burned yet. haha

The Team

So heading out this weekend, these two stalwarts were who ended up being the road trip companions and team on the ride. Others had liked the idea early on and for various reasons couldn’t finish the training they wanted to come or had other conflicts come up. I get it, this was hard to train for primarily in the time it takes to get ready. That’s for the rest of I’m speaking. For Conrad he’s always ready because he’s just that good. Shawn and I had to bust our tails and put in some serious saddle time in the weeks prior. I sure appreciate both these guys and their support being there and being a part of the adventure.

After the 4-ish hour drive down we arrived and got settled in the hotel and early to bed to get some rest before the big day. Between some shared room snoring (haha) and pre race jitters I didn’t get much sleep the night before, but I arose early and excited for the day. We grabbed some hotel breakfast and packed up the bikes to head over to the starting point.

Ready to Roll

Choosing the Tour of St George for a face was particularly appealing 8 or so weeks ago because first of all, Utah is getting cold this time of year. St George is south and typically much warmer. Well, at the start of the race time the sun was barely coming up and it was a balmy 51º. I didn’t want to haul around a jacket or anything extra all day, so I was in shorts and short sleeve jersey. Along with those continuing excited jitters, I was ready and raring to get moving to create some heat. After some safety tips over the loudspeakers, we were off.

What a fun feeling of camaraderie from like minded people out for a fun day. Riders all started together, but some were choosing routes of 34, 50, 80, or 100 miles. We were signed up for the full century and excited to get underway. And we were off! For the next hour we headed south...and it was even colder! Dipping into the 40s I was shivering but having a great time. We kept an even and measured pace through neighborhoods and winding our way out of the city. The primary goal we kept reminding ourselves was: this is about a fun, long journey, don’t burn yourself out early.

The views were in a word, fantastic. We were so busy riding that at times we were just in the moment and not taking photos. Lots of chatting, lots of spinning and enjoying the views. We did break out the camera at times - of course I did - so there were lots of photos from one bike to the other but we kept pressing forward. I found myself commenting many times, “that’s just awesome” as we’d cruise down a hill or around a corner to see a new scene revealed. After around a dozen miles we were in an particularly open stretch with a bit of downhill grade and a small peloton of riders so we dug in for a little more speed. The next bit flew by and we were quickly at the first rest stop 18 miles in feeling great and ready for a little nutrition. After a quick break, we were back on the road and hitting the first of many climbing portions that day.


Fueling Up

You probably noticed or will notice now my jersey and a little sponsorship on this ride. Yep, I’m especially grateful for my continued relationship with Organo who sponsored me on this ride. As an ongoing Brand Ambassador for their OGX products that I’ve enjoyed as part of my getting back in shape and continued healthy and active life they were happy to help me participate in this ride. We got a slick jersey made and of course I fueled up with their XT drink throughout the day. A good natural kick of nutrients and some helpful caffeine were happily included in my nutritional plan of the day. Happy to give a shout out to them and again appreciative for all their support. The #ogx family of friends, #xchallenge participants and all that they represent. You all are amazing.

Along with the boosted drink I had brought with me plenty of granola bars and other little snacks to take bites every so often and avoid hitting an energy wall. I didn’t even touch them though as this ride was so well supported with rest stations every 20 miles or so full of snacks, drinks and the necessary porta potties. Really happy with the race support and many volunteers that staffed them. Kudos to all involved.

Keep on Keeping On

The next section of the race had a good bit of open space along with some of the first big climbs. Challenging but spectacular views continued to enthrall. We’d take some turns cycling up front or drawing behind each other, but truth be told Conrad was usually leading the way helping us keep to an intelligent pace. I tried to keep my distance back most of the time so I wasn’t drafting as I wanted to put in my own effort for this challenge.


After that first good long and steep climb we found ourselves at another rest stop. Already at 40 miles! Seriously I was a bit surprised. Lost in the fun of the views and course I was just enjoying the journey. We were joking and laughing with other riders. Some were commenting “wow, what a hill!” and I was replying “awesome, wasn’t it?!” Some chuckled. Some gave me that side eye like “you crazy!” Ok, maybe I was enjoying this a bit too much. Tough.

From here it started to get more and more real. We were working our way through and back to St George from Hurricane and starting to feel the miles build. More rolling hills and even steeper climbs started to show themselves, especially as we hit the red cliffs. We geared down and spun quickly to keep our rate up but effort down on the steep grades. Always in the long haul in mind. Did I mention the views?

60 Miles In, Officially My Longest

Ok, are you feeling like this is getting long yet? Try riding it.

I know, this is probably getting to be a long summary of the trip. If you’re still reading, I commend you. I logged on to a quick riding Facebook Live to share my excitement of passing the previous long of 56 miles I had ridden before. I was now in uncharted territory, and loving it. Sure I was starting to feel the first half of the race under my belt, but we’d been well paced and I was feeling strong. Climbing more frequently, we also know the most serious climbs were ahead.

And oh yeah, the pickle guy at the 60mi rest stop you cracked me up. This is the kind of great volunteer support we had on hand. They had shots of pickle juice available for the brave and those wanting to avoid cramping up on the few thousand feet of elevation climb that lied ahead. You could see the first of the steep climbs coming up directly next, so despite my not particularly loving dill pickle juice by the shot, I threw one down and chased it with some electrolytes. Yuck, but glad I did. Those climbs were starting to take their toll. I was feeling good, but I recognized that building fatigue and the muscles starting to tell me I was using up the glycogen reserves.

At this point my buddy Shawn made the call he was ready to circle back and call it a day. His calves were done, and he recognized if he pushed into those climbs he might be stuck at the side of the road pretty soon. Sad to see him have to turn back, but absolutely a respectable ride to that point. By the time he got home he still crested 72 miles, so huge props to him for putting in that effort. Now it was up to Conrad and me to finish strong!

On the climb there was this great sign posted on the route. My first thought was “this’ll make a great photo and message!” I grabbed my camera, framed up the shot as I was approaching it and...the camera had a half second delay and missed the shot. Just my luck!

BUT I thought I’d share it anyway. The sign posted on this huge long climb read “Your only limits are self imposed.” Yes! This is the essence of #GoBeyond and what it means to me. While of course we can’t just magically jump past limits, with hard work and determination we can reach further that we might have previously believed we could. What a great message to have in the difficult section of this ride.


This is where you draw on that training

The next 11 miles I didn’t take many photos. In fact hardly a one. That’s because we were climbing...a lot. Up, up, a little roll down, then back up. It was work, but with continuing our careful pacing and using those gears we were doing great. The next rest stop was only 11 miles later, but it sure felt like another 20. A welcome break, but not too long for fear of stiffening up. Back on the bikes and heading out in what felt like a whole different terrain.

As we dropped down from Veyo we started to see more trees, narrowing roadways between red rock and frankly some of the most beautiful terrain of the entire ride. I was feeling more and more muscle fatigue, but those views and the determination to complete the ride was fueling me with everything I needed. We hit some huge downhills were speeds were high and the payoff of those climbs started to pay off. I didn’t break out the camera on those as 40 mph on a bike keeps me clinching the handles and riding those breaks a bit. A speed demon on the downhills I am not.


What ensued next is the grind, but as is the theme in some spectacular terrain. The roads were a little rough at times, but winding through canyons and around some hills we rolled up and down over the next 20 miles with good banter and spread out from all but a few riders. Some ahead, many behind and feeling pretty good about how we were pushing through to the end.

At the final rest stop we had 10.5 miles to go. Despite the increasing feeling of empty tanks in those large muscle groups, there was no question at this point that we were not only going to finish, but finish strong. Of course by we I mean me, because Conrad was doing just fine and I was the only newb here.

We headed back toward town, past Tuachan and starting to see civilization again. Through housing communities and nearing the finish line. And here the route designer had one last little joke for us. They took us back through the red cliffs.

At mile 96 we started to climb again, thinking we’d turn right at the main road. Nope. There was a sign with an arrow pointed up the steep hill we’d come down 50 miles earlier that read “It’s a hill, get over it.” Haha you sick minded...

We just laughed, geared down and climbed. And much to my satisfaction we passed quite a few riders. We made our quips about the course designer and everyone had a chuckle. We kept repeating to each other “we do this because we love it!” And, we really do. We flew through those last few miles and the final downhill just before the finish line with smiles and a sense of accomplishment.

Finished

Completed. Accomplished. Done.

What a great feeling of having set out to do something hard, and then doing it. I was one of hundreds on that ride that day. It wasn’t anything special. Really, I realize that. But for me it was something much, much more.

Remember that ride at the end of the May? Two days before my big cancer surgery on June 1, several friends joined me on a ride climbing Alpine Loop doing something long and hard I had never done before. We climbed 4,200 feet of elevation and rode 42 miles. It was my own “up yours” to cancer as I joked throughout, but it was also my effort to say I’m not giving up and we are fighting in every way I know how. We are still living and enjoying each day I have, and this is how we do it.

This weekend was yet another in those efforts. 5 weeks after surgery I was back on my bike, slowly turning the pedals for a scant 10 miles. Each week I added a little more distance and a bit more intensity. Within a few more weeks I was back to riding longer routes and enjoying the outdoor therapy. When on a ride with Aaron and Jeff on Labor Day weekend he suggested I might enjoy the Tour of St George Century ride I thought he was a bit crazy, but then I kind of like crazy. I looked it up and registered that day. I was in.

This would be my next effort to Go Beyond. This was my personal #XChallenge as the OGX family uses in their healthy efforts to become a better version of themselves. So the training began to get longer and harder as I rode an average of 140 miles a week and explored the routes around the valley. And, I loved every minute of it. All the hours, aches and effort really are exactly what I needed and continue to need. This is something I can continue to push and succeed in some fashion when there is so much about my other challenges I cannot control. And to me that is exactly what enjoying life is about.

Thank you. Thank you. And thank you.

Once again I can’t help but say thank you. Most of all to my loving wife that puts up with all my shenanigans. It takes a lot of time to do all that I do, and she lets me. No, more than that she supports me. Heather really is a saint. I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it because it’s true. Thanks to all that offer their comments and love along the way. Thanks to Organo for their support. Thanks to those that helped me train and continue to push me to be a better version of myself. To everyone, thank you for helping me find ways to accomplish hard things and even just distract me from the other adversity. It’s been quite a year, and I know it’s not yet over.

So, What’s Next?

Hopefully this doesn’t sound like an acceptance speech or something crazy like this. It was just a ride and seriously not a big deal. I get it, but I also celebrate it. But also, it’s not the end. This health journey has been about finding new hills to climb and adventures to explore. On the drive back home we talked about exploring more rides and even crossing over some time to mountain biking, something I’ve yet to tackle in any serious way. I hope to find some other fun road trips over the winter into warmer climates and maybe meet up with others that can show me their local routes. Perhaps next year even find some additional events to participate in, giving more reasons to train and goals to work toward.

Starting tonight I actually hit my next milestone that’s not all that exciting. I start my next chemo drug. Yea me! This one is called Sutent and it’s pretty much guaranteed to have even worse side effects. I spent a solid 30 minutes on the phone with the pharmacy nurse as she reviewed all the negatives involved in taking this drug. And yet, it provides the next option to try and push back against the cancer that seems to be growing ever more rapidly inside me. So without question we are doing it. I’ll keep pushing my healthy efforts so hopefully I can mitigate some of the negatives, and hope for the best positives I can takeaway from the mix of good health, holistic enhancements, and combined with the best traditional medicine can offer me. So I’ll sign off and go pop a pill before I head to bed. And see you tomorrow morning at spin class my local friends. This journey isn’t even close to over!

Updates made along the way:


Comments