IV Blowout



So having my IV blow out during the CT scan yesterday was not what I needed. I think the technician either overshot my vein and weakened the wall or placed it through. She was concerned about it and flushed it with saline 3 times before starting the flow but thought she has it set. This is worse than just a blown vein because now my arm is swollen with contrast solution, which doesn’t readily reabsorb and can damage tissue. It’s difficult to show in photos but here’s a left and right arm comparison yesterday afternoon and it’s actually spread to my forearm despite trying to keep it elevated. It’s like a really puffy pocket of swollen tissue in my tricep, bicep, and forearm.

Woke me up at 3 am last night and kept me up. I’d iced it, elevate and ibuprofen. Any other suggestions from those with some expertise? My Google research says this could take weeks to fully heal. Ugh.

Comments