Feeling So Much Gratitude

Boy we’ve had our share of setbacks lately. It brings to mind the saying “If I didn’t have bad luck I wouldn’t have any luck at all.” Or, we seem to be living our own version of A Series of Unfortunate Events. As one friend put it, now is not the time for us to head to Vegas or buy a lottery ticket.
And yet, with some significant bumps in the road I find myself full of gratitude, for all of you.
In recent weeks we’ve received my date for surgery, and the reminder that it’s not a cure but will remove the significant portions of my tumors along with far more organ tissue than I’d like. I’ve had a cycling accident that has left me with a torn shoulder, strong pain in my neck and upper back and plenty of road rash still healing. Then this week Heather was in a hard crash that has her shaken, a bit more beat up than she realized at first and the family van very likely totaled or at least in need of serious repairs. Yep, those are the main highlights.
I’m sure I’m forgetting a few lesser ones that seem insignificant in comparison. But what really stands out to me is what has happened in response. The outpouring of love and support by family, neighbors, other friends and quite literally across the world through social media has left us humbled and amazed at the kindness of others.
Within hours of Heather’s accident our doorbell rang many times with neighbors coming over to offer a hug, a gift and plenty of chocolate to calm Heather’s jittery nerves. They sure know Heather’s therapy of choice. One friend sent over a Venmo for some money simply titled “for the tow” because we all know many of us don’t have tow coverage on our insurance as we try to keep premiums managed. It’s hard to mention all the names simply because there were so many.
A few hours later our neighbors were at the doorstep with a key in hand. Katie Murdock had seen my post and notified Blake at work, so they with the fine folks of Murdock Hyundai showed up with a loaner van and generous gift free of charge to use while we sort out the family van repair. I have a hard time expression what this immediate and amazing act meant to us all within such a short period of time.
I’ve mentioned before reading and feeling inspired by the book “Everyday I Fight” but Stuart Scott. In one chapter he talked about how he appreciated those that simply showed up. People that didn’t ask what they could do, but just figured out something and did it. Being present. And I can tell you emphatically that we have those amazing kind of people in our lives who just showed up and did it. And we thank you.
There is much more to be grateful for along this journey well before this time that I’m reminded of as I think about feeling gratitude. For my employment and those that have been very patient as I’ve had to work less and less in recent months. My employer has allowed me to renegotiate from a salaried position to hourly so I could work only the hours I felt able. To my ongoing relationship with Organo that has been a big motivator in my initial healthy rebirth and then continuing to engage me as a brand ambassador allowing me to share my story and offering much needed compensation. For several others I’ve worked for on a freelance basis that have continued to provide me with work bundled with the patience to allow for flexible deadlines when I’m having a rough week or two. And finally new relationships with others both in work and personal life that include some that share my journey with their own form of cancer or other diagnosis that have altered their lives.
Alleviating Financial Stress
Also in this last week before Heather’s mishap, my good friend Tina Salmon started a GoFundMe campaign to help raise some funds to help offset financial concerns during and after my surgery when I am going to be unable to work. Tina asked me about doing this some time ago and in my typical ornery, independent way said we were doing ok and I was still working and able to make ends meet along with Heather now being full time. I said the day will come when we likely would need some help, but now was not it. That’s pretty much what I’ve said to everyone that has asked.
It’s taking a big forkful of humble pie for me to realize that day has just about arrived.
So rather than ask, Tina acted, and so many more have as well as they responded. See Tina and I met when I started working with Donny Osmond years ago with my little web development company I had with some partners at the time, then later doing photography, publicity and tour merchandising. Donny jumped in to help spread the word and chip in in a big way. Currently that campaign has been shared 1,300 times and received generous donations from 53 people. Some small and some large, and every one as important as the next.
That’s…simply amazing.
While a large part of me thinks there are so many others that can use help even more, I have to remember this isn’t just about me and be willing to allow others to help us in a time of need. It’s not easy. Remember me mentioning I’m an independent cuss? Probably so, it was just a few paragraphs ago. But I am. I was raised to work hard and be self-sufficient in every way possible and we’ve done that. But some times things are bigger than we are prepared to handle. Sometimes we need to allow others to provide help and reap the blessings of providing service. It’s an important aspect of service that is often forgotten. Allowing others to serve.
So right now all I can do is continue to realize there are so many kind people and express gratitude. Thank you.
Connecting to a Greater Message
From the beginning of my diagnosis I felt a strong desire to fight, both to fight this cancer within me and to fight to live the life to it’s fullest for however long I am given. I announced my diagnosis to the world with the message that I left strongly about, I Choose To Live.
Many have commented, messaged or spoke with me personally about how the message of choosing to live has resonated with them. It really applies far beyond cancer or any health diagnosis. It’s about living life each day with purpose, priority and a desire to thrive individually and with those we love. It’s a mental attitude of knowing that we can’t always choose our circumstances, but we can decide how we react to them. We choose to find the reason to smile despite or even because of hardship.
Some have told me I choose to live can be modified in any number of ways. I choose to _________. Live, fight, love, thrive, be happy, smile, etc. Whatever your personal message is, I love it.
When first approached about some kind of way to raise funds when I am unable to do my normal work, after my initial refusal the first thought that came to mind was wondering how I can connect this to a greater message. With that in mind I decided a starting point would be that I could design some T-shirts with the I Choose To Live message emblazoned in some fashion. This would allow others to donate in a way that was getting something in return. Sure physically a shirt, but also a message they could wear as both a reminder to live themselves and also to share with others. Like the Life is Good
company and message that I’ve enjoyed, I’m hoping the I Choose To Live message can continue to resonate with others and have reach far beyond just me.
So that’s what I’ve decided to do, starting with just two shirt designs. Here are the designs I came up with that seemed to fit my message in fighting cancer and choosing to live life. They will be on this good looking dark Heather Grey with white screen printing. You can pick either design and the sizes and cut of shirt you’d like. The shirt price is variable, so you can pick the amount you’d like to donate, whether the minimum or more. You can order as many shirts as you like at whatever price point you pick.
Once again I’m blessed to have great neighbors and friends, and a couple are friends that happen to own a screen printing company called YBA Shirts. They primarily do jerseys (in a big way) but have offered to print up a batch of shirts if we get together a order. So I’m offering over on my blog a way to purchase these in a big pre-order. The plan is we’ll take orders through June 15, then the shirts will be printed together and shipped. So you’ll need to be a little patient as we collect the order, print and ship it out, but I hope you’ll love the shirt and shared the message. This is a way to donate and help out my family during this time and be connected to the message of choosing to live life.
The GoFundMe campaign is still available if you’d rather just donate without a shirt.
Direct donations are also being accepted via Venmo, just find the username @greatprojects or PayPal using my email jhall@greatproj.com.
Whatever you donate is greatly appreciated. Even if you cannot donate at this time and just choose to share the positive message, I thank you for that!

Comments