No Really, Life is Good


How goes the battle

First a little update on the journey. Overall I really can't complain. Compared to the extreme effects of typical chemo and radiation, I feel like what I'm experiencing is relatively not that bad. Most of this last week I felt pretty decent, if a little tired and easy to fatigue. I've got some other minor expected physical reactions, but overall the biggest struggle is fatigue, difficulty sleeping and abdominal pain. But more days are good than bad, and for that I am grateful!

This last week the first several days were good, the last few days not so good. The days that are harder involve stronger gut pain that radiates out to overall joint and muscle pain much like when you have the flu. Yeah, yuck. It's no bueno. But again, its more manageable and at a level I can simply push through with some willpower. Be stubborn in a good way. Oorah. We can do this.

Most days I wake up early and stick to my workout routine. Monday, Thursday and Saturday spin class. Monday, Wednesday and Saturday weightlifting. Tuesday yoga at the rec center. Friday hot yoga at a Brick Canvas. Busy? Yep. But I find pushing myself to stick to the daily early schedule and rolling out of bed despite really wanting to succumb to the fatigue has helped me more than anything. Yet I haven't succeeded every day. This Saturday I had to give in after several nights in a row of little sleep and increasing gut pain to miss spin class in exchange for some additional attempted sleep. I didn't really sleep though and wished I'd still gone to spin. Still, got in some weights and felt better for it.

I'll take that as a win. Sometimes we retreat a little before we charge forward again.

Two weeks in on the daily dose of Gleevec and doing pretty well in handling the actual taking of the pills. By taking the pills right before bed I've avoided the nausea, which is a welcome success. Had my first blood draw this week to check levels and how the drug is impacting my system, but as of yet don't know the results. Doctor appointment in another couple of weeks.

So there are struggles. There are pains. But it's manageable and for the most part I just do my best to live each day the same as before. We still do family stuff, like the choir concerts, running kids to all their stuff, the family outing to take in a BYU volleyball game.

Live. Enjoy. Love. I can't complain.

Now on to some ramblings of my thoughts this last week. You with me?

Life Is Good, The Book

A few weeks ago I mentioned receiving a gift of a book titled "Life Is Good" by Bert and John Jacobs, founders of the Life Is Good apparel company and charitable foundation. I appreciated the gesture of goodwill both in those sharing of my challenge and attitude, and the support from their organization.

I dove into the book and found it a quick read with a simple message of optimism and celebrating the good in the world. The founders emit an earthy, hippyish outlook that seems to be displaced by a few decades, yet is also fitting to more of what our society needs. With news feeds crammed full of divisive rhetoric, fake and deceptive news, and highlighting all the worst events of the day, recognizing and enjoying what is good in each other is a refreshing alternative.

The book shares the story of their struggles to build a business literally from the back of a van for many years while describing what they describe as life's superpowers accessible to us all: openness, courage, simplicity, humor, gratitude, fun, compassion, creativity, authenticity, and love. Applying these superpowers to our outlook and daily efforts can surely only help in how we feel, how we treat others and our outlook when life throws us curveballs. Even those crazy screwballs.

There is so much in life to be grateful for, and no matter what direction our health turns, we can still celebrate and cherish those good things. Life changes, whether it be health, jobs, relationships, whatever, they tend to help us refocus on what matters most to us. Priorities. Simplify by cutting out what doesn't matter. Remove whatever steals our time, energy and mental effort without returning anything of real value.

Positivity & optimism are part of the treatment. A better outlook simply makes us feel better even when other influences are pushing against us.

Inspired by “Clouds”

Have you heard the song “Clouds” by Zach Sobiech and the story behind it? I saw this video several years ago and the resulting response by many touched by his message. Embrace every day with hope and joy. What an inspiration. Knowing his time here was limited, he made the most of it. He loved and was loved. He left a legacy and inspired so many. It sure has even more meaning to me now.
"You don't have to find out you're dying to start living." -Zach Sobiech
We don’t have to be dying to do the same. I don’t have the musical talent like his, but I hope to make the most of the time and cherish those I love. We can choose to live at any time and for any reason.


Then there was the amazing response coordinated by the channel “Sound Pancake” makers of the ever awesome Kid President.

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." - Oscar Wilde
Do more than exist. Really, truly live. I’m hearing that message loud and clear.

Peace. Calm. Be Present.

I’m a recent yoga practitioner, and I use that term very heavy emphasis on the “practice” element of the word. I always knew it had good benefits, but frankly the hippy-dippy, earthy side of it was always a bit too much for me. Fortunately the classes I attend are a bit light on the philosophy, more helping with strength, balance, focus, alignment, etc. They help newbies like me approach the practice.


This week during hot yoga at Brick Canvas while I was mid pose, trying to balance, compress, and stretch all while shaking a bit (ok more than a bit) with exertion, the instructor said to the class “If you can find peace here, you can find peace anywhere.” I chuckled a bit but the more I processed it, the more the statement started to make some deeper sense to me. If we can find peace when we are in the midst of our greatest struggle or exertion, then we can find peace in aspects of life.

A little epiphany for me. If I can find peace in my current biggest struggle(s), then I can find peace at any time. I can find the positive even while wading through a strong current of adversity.

A little later in class she encouraged us to “be present” here, in class, in the moment, in the movement we were making. Clear our minds of everything else and be present. Experience all the moment has to offer. Again, building on the previous thought, find peace and be present. How true this is in all areas of our life.

Being present often means pushing aside distractions and giving our full attention to who or what task is in front of us. I’m guilty as anyone - if not more so - of letting those phone notifications steal away my focus, even a part of my brain. I’ve had to turn off many of my notifications, keeping my phone on silent, and even putting my phone upside down on a counter away from me so I can stay in the moment during dinner or spending time with family or friends. And it’s not just the n computer gets riddled with notifications for email, messenger, SMS, tabs open in various social media, etc. More and more I’m finding the joy in simply closing and turning these off. I love the interaction with people, but too often it steals away my focus.

Especially during that oh so important date time with my lovely bride, the phone has to go away so I can make eye contact, listen and be in the moment. Those times are far more important than any notification I’m going to receive. Except maybe the kids calling to say the house is on fire. That call would be a good one to answer. Except usually the call from home is because child 1 is upset with child 2 and they want you to resolve their dispute and side with them. Fortunately those calls don’t happen too much any more. Old parent benefit.

Fuel for the soul

The Life Is Good group has received thousands of letters of personal experiences and inspiration based on their resonating message. Often these notes are thanking them for their message and efforts to help others. They call these "Fuel" notes. In their book and online. Eh share some amazing stories of people with tremendous challenge, loss and difficulty, yet they express a message of gratitude and optimism. Amazing and beautiful.

I have come to view messages and comments received from all of you much the same, especially those with personal stories of success, struggle and optimism. Thank you to every one of you being willing to share your suggestions, your support, your sympathy, your encouragement.

I love the reminder from so many that yes, there is life after cancer. Life while you fight cancer. Most importantly this is about living life, cherishing all those people and things that matter most. These truly are fuel for my soul.

Now It's Your Turn

How great would it be if we all spent more time sharing and celebrating what is good instead of the many problems we see in the world. Those bad things don't go away, but we can sure feel better talking about some good things too.

So can I ask a favor? Can I give you an assignment today? You can say no, but I hope you'll give it a try.

Take a moment and leave a comment of something good you did, saw or just thought was cool recently. I love good quotes that inspire or motivate. How about a person you really appreciate or is an example to you. Share any of these as a comment here, or share it on your timeline and put a link to it here in a comment. Share something good so we can all celebrate and enjoy it together. If nothing else, we can enjoy a little good in the world for a moment and reset our perspectives.

Comments