Don't Worry, Be Happy


When that song first came out I really didn’t get it. Honestly I thought it was a ditsy pop song and I just couldn’t understand why it was so popular. But of course at the time I think I was listening to Van Halen, Def Leppard and The Scorpions mixed in with some Depeche Mode and The Cure for balance.

Eventually I came to appreciate the musical mastery of Bobby McFerrin well beyond this one big hit, but also the simple message of his song. In fact it was probably exposure to his form of a cappella and my dad’s enjoyment of Doo Wop that led to my appreciation of a cappella to this day.

Life Is Good
This last week I had the opportunity to travel for some photo work to a pretty amazing place. Oahu Hawaii. Yep, just a bit of paradise. If you see my social media posts at all you got a taste of my “look at me” photos I shared enjoying the scenery and showing off a bit of what I was enjoying. Beautiful locations, fun times, and usually moments taken in-between all the actual efforts. But it was work. No really.

I tell that to people and I always get some variation of the same response: “Riiiiiiight.” I can’t blame them. While I put in long days carrying around heavy camera equipment, chasing people and places to get all the photos needed for the gig, it is still happening in a pretty amazing place. I’m also happy to report that with my continuing efforts be healthy and fit I was able to keep up with the taxing routine despite the ongoing treatment fatigue and other side effects. I feel up to the task and able to function frankly at a better physical level than a year ago when I started on this journey.

I’ve had the opportunity over the last year to work on some great corporate event photo coverage with a local company. It involves me taking off some time at my normal job which I do enjoy as well, but it is a desk job, to then take advantage of these chances for something different. That trip last year in Barcelona was working with this company, and since I’ve done a few other local and events that involve travel. Everything from conventions, galas, massive dinners, celebrations and in this case covering an incentive trip. These typically involve very long days, grabbing little sleep each night and repeating the same again. And I love it.

It’s a break from the everyday normal routine and a personal challenge to do my best capturing photos that the client will love. I work with some pretty amazing photographers that by association push me to become even better to keep up with their talent. I figure what I may lack in talent I can at least try to match with my work ethic.

This last week I was the sole photographer on the job, along with a designated editor that is frankly a more seasoned and talented photographer in many ways. I felt somewhat intimidated heading into it, but also motivated to put forth my best effort and learn wherever I can. Just as I try to do on every job I tackle. Mike was a rockstar, a pleasure to work with as was the client, and we had a successful week.

These weeks tend to develop in a similar way. At first attendees are meeting you for the first time and somewhat uncomfortable at the thought of an ever-present camera around them. Then as the week progresses they get more relaxed as they see you capturing them in fun moments and creating photos they’d have a hard time capturing on their own with that cell phone they are carrying. Half of the fun in these situations is interacting with the attendees, chatting a bit to put them at ease and sometimes showing the photo you just made. The look of “wow” is rewarding and I meet some pretty awesome folks.

By the end of the week they are calling me over to get photos of and for them and enjoy having you around. That’s a reward too. At the end of this last week on the departure day, one executive was saying his goodbyes to the event director and some others while I was in their company. After saying something to each of them he turned to me and said, “You were an awesome all week. You are the ‘smiling-est’ photographer we’ve ever had an event. Loved having you here.”

I loved that. What a compliment.

I try hard to always be upbeat, positive and optimistic, but especially so in these client situations. I love the job I’m doing, and I want it to show. Plus people just enjoy and are more comfortable with someone that is happy. Even in tough situations and after long days, it’s a fun job to be doing, so why not show it?

If that’s the image I’m portraying, I’m satisfied. A job well done and done well.

So from this last week even after all the great views, the experiences had and the views taken in, my takeaway was be the smiling-est person people remember in their encounters. Don’t worry, be happy.
Yeah, this was one of those "look at me" photos that are so fun to post

Comments