Being Positive


This last week I’ve been thinking a lot about being positive. There are so many reasons to be upset, depressed, demotivated...whatever. Frankly every day we are bombarded by plenty of reasons, things that just seem to work against us. It’s easier to let those things get us down, or to simply sit back and take the easier route where excuses reign our lives.

In fact, some days that sounds pretty good.

Some days it’s just tough getting out of bed out of sheer fatigue, or simply just not wanting to do anything. I’ve never battled clinical depression, so I don’t even try to say I understand the depths of how that can feel, but I’ve had my share of times when things felt pretty out of control and overwhelming.

Surprisingly my current battle hasn’t felt that way. Sure it rocked my world finding out, but after a few hours of head spinning paradigm shift and rollercoaster of emotions, I actually felt like I’d been getting ready for this and it was time to fight. Being positive about the battle came naturally because frankly the alternative didn’t sound all that appealing.

A few months into the treatments my attitude and efforts have continued mostly unchanged. I’m still hitting the gym as hard as my body will allow. Six days a week with a variety of routines to try and be healthy, continue to improve my fitness, and to counteract the symptoms the treatment carries with it. Some days I give it everything I’ve got, and it still falls short. But I’m there and doing it that alone is half the battle in my view.

The Power of a Positive State of Mind


When I was first diagnosed with cancer, many friends brought over books and other suggested reading. I still have a stack that I’m working through - albeit a little slower than I’d like to admit, but I’m doing it. I love taking in as much information as I can, so I’m committed to reading them all, including those linked online.

One I’m reading right now is titled 50 Essential Things to do When the Doctor Says It’s Cancer kindly given to me by Gene Horne. The book is written from the perspective of a cancer survivor that also observed common traits and actions of other survivors. So far I’ve really liked the practical approach and writing, such as this passage about being positive. Paraphrased from Principle #2:
The majority of survivors are not “be-positive-against-all-evidnece” sort of people. They have a refreshing sense of skepticism about “just-be-positive” solutions. Survivors are tough minded realists. “Yes I may die. But I also may live. And I’m going to invest my time, whatever it’s length, in living the best way I know how.”
So while I know I don’t control the outcome, I firmly believe I can influence it in many ways, and one of which is with optimism and positivity. Our body chemistry reacts to our attitude in astounding ways, and being positive can only help. If nothing else, I’ll sure feel better making the most of each day and my effort along the way!

This week in spin class Heidi played one of her motivational songs, a speech put to music really. It’s another one of those rah, rah speeches that we have heard and love on YouTube, but I think carries even more meaning hearing it when you are exhausting yourself, pushing beyond your normal limits. One particular line resonated with me.
You can talk yourself into defeat, or you can talk yourself into victory. You can talk yourself into weakness, or you can talk yourself into strength. When you speak to yourself the right way, courage comes. Determination comes. Vision comes.
This is true in all aspects of life. In fitness and health it’s obvious. You can push to go beyond your normal limits when you keep positive and let your mind push your muscles. In life when we face hard things and tell ourselves that we can do it, it’s far more often then that we find a way that we can, often overcoming previously seemingly insurmountable obstacles. It’s that old CAN DO attitude that truly does help us see and believe that we can in fact do it.

I was wearing my new Life Is Good shirt Heather got me the same day I read that passage. It seemed apropos to remind myself that whatever may come, a good attitude and optimism is the best choice first, then find the solution and go after it with dogged determination next.

So thanks for those around me and that interact with that share the desire to approach life’s trials with the same attitude and determination. We. Got. This.

Oh and that photo at the top is Spencer’s birthday lunch. His first experience with sushi. Thanks to John and Andrew for joining in the fun and bringing some sage advice on the food choices.

Comments